The programs foster community involvement for our participants, while providing support for their families, who may feel overwhelmed and isolated by the demands of caring for their family members. While our programs directly address the needs of individuals with developmental disabilities and their families, we are proud of our efforts to serve the entire community by improving the integration of these individuals and families into our communities.
Friendship Home enriches the lives of individuals with developmental disabilities and their families by providing quality respite and support services in a safe and caring environment.
Friendship Home staff and volunteers operate at all times with the utmost respect for human rights, personal choice and empowerment of individuals served. We strive to continually improve services adhering to the highest standards for client centered care. The following philosophies drive our commitment to meeting the needs of individuals with developmental disabilities and their families:
- Each individual has the right to lead a full and productive life with the necessary supports provided by caring community members.
- Individuals with disabilities have the right to self-determination in all areas of their lives and it is the goal of Friendship Home and its supporters to remove the barriers in order that they might access a full array of opportunities.
- We are responsible to create communities that support families caring for loved ones with disabilities and should provide resources for these families so that they may have the information and energy to provide the best care possible.
- Friendship Home fulfills its mission by engaging individuals, groups and businesses to join us in creating quality and innovative programs that meet the needs of individuals with developmental disabilities and their families.
- All individuals are differently able and are an asset to their community, have a right to be treated with respect and dignity as equal members of the community, merit the opportunity to participate in all areas of family and community life, have the potential for growth and development, are entitled to opportunities to form personal relationships of their own choice, deserve to live, work and play in environments which promote personal well-being.
Friendship Home fulfills its mission by:
- Providing services including:
– Educational, vocational and recreational opportunities through Friendship Club where members are central forces in designing activities that are enjoyable, fulfilling and contribute to the larger community.
– Respite and support opportunities for families so that they may attend to other priorities knowing that their loved ones are safe, cared for and having fun.
– Educational and vocational program designed to meet the needs of program participants in developing the necessary work and life skills central to independent living.
- Providing sound management and fiscal oversight.
- Remaining engaged with our communities to maximize the resources available to support our work.
- Advocating for the rights and equitable treatment of individuals with disabilities and their families on a local and national level.
- Helping to raise awareness in our communities of the abilities and needs of those that we serve in order that they may benefit from community support and increased opportunities.
- Developing innovative programs that utilize public and private funding to offer a full array of opportunities.
- Engaging individuals who are or might be served by our programs and their families in helping to design and evaluate our programs.
- Providing only needs-based assistance delivered in the least restrictive environment possible, encouraging all people served to participate as independently as possible in the activities of daily life associated with mainstream society.
- Customizing programs and services based on the specific needs of individuals served, maximizing the unique benefits of a smaller community based program.
Add Community Partners Tab under About Us – remove from programs and resources